Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The Triffids - Born Sandy Devotional Reissue


I received an email yesterday about the reissue of The Triffids 1986 album Born Sandy Devotional (with bonus tracks) and I have to say I was really impressed with what I have heard so far, quite frankly I really knew next to nothing about them although I had heard of the group before. They were one of the Australian bands along with the Go Betweens and Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds who went to England in the 80's to "make it" as they say. Really good songwriting featuring great lyrics with real heart and soul. I really like the vocals of lead singer David McComb quite a bit and then I remembered that he did a cover of the Leonard Cohen song Don't Go Home With Your Hard-On from the tribute album I'm Your Fan that I liked as well.

Martin Casey became the bass player for the Bad Seeds in the early 90's and is still holding down that position in the band.

Below are a few songs for you to sample and check out.

Lonely Stretch

Seabirds

Plus the bonus track Convent Walls

Buy it here.

You can check out the bands website here.

Watch the video to Wide Open Road.