Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Brian Jonestown Massacre - Give It Back!


I really like the Brian Jonestown Massacre, no matter how much they wear their 60's influences on their sleeve, as it is part of their charm. They are the ultimate garage band and the first time I saw them live they put on one hell of a good show which turned me into a fan. Being from the bay area their name evokes images from my youth seen on tv involving a nutty cult in the jungle of Guyana and large quantities of cyanide laced punch. It is a good play on words.

I really like the first tune called Super-Sonic that is an Indian/Middle Eastern influnced wall of processed guitars rocker, if that makes any sense. While The Devil May Care (Mom & Dad Don't) has an Ennio Morricone spaghetti western hungover after the big party ragged appeal to it. Or something like that.

I haven't seen the documentary Dig! yet but a friend is going to lend the dvd to me in the next couple of weeks. I just never got around to seeing it in the theatre but I will crank it up here at home to "recreate" that theater sound. My sound system at home probably sounds better than many of the smaller art house places it was shown in anyway.

Buy it here.