Friday, January 13, 2006

Sisters Of Mercy - Floodland


I remember when I first heard The Sisters Of Mercy : Floodland record from the first few moments of the first cut I was hooked. I know the band (Andrew Eldritch?) is considered “gothic” but I personally don’t care about labels or the fad or style connected with music but only what it does for me as I listen to it. Having said that I really like the cover! I just love the songs and the orchestral, majestic and industrial dance “vibe” of this record and it has to contain some of the most badass drum machine tracks ever recorded. They sound like they could knock brick walls down!

I remember reading a review of this record at the time it came out and the basic premise of it was that if Jim Morrison had lived and had continued making records into the 80’s this is what he would have sounded like. Not a bad take on it. The production on this album is unbelievably great with layers of instruments and voices that just build up to a fantastic intensity especially on the two epic songs Dominion/Mother Russia and This Corrosion. You could almost say they have a Phil Spector wall of sound like style, slightly harder edged though! Now if only Rhino would remaster this record and Vision Thing I would be very, very happy. It would be wonderful to really hear all the detail put into this recording.

Here is Dominion/Mother Russia and Lucretia My Reflection for you to check out.

Buy it here.