Friday, January 20, 2006

Old Grey Whistle Test


I didn't post anything last night because I was watching the first DVD of The Old Grey Whistle Test. I really enjoyed it and even though I know it has been out for a couple of years (always ahead of the curve!) I would recommend viewing it if you get the chance. It is a very ectlectic mix which isn't surprising considering the performances range from 1972 to 1984.

The highlights for me are:

Randy Newman doing Political Science with his eyes closed the whole time!
Captain Beefheart doing Upon The My O My.
The original Wailers with Stir It Up.
Talking Heads-Psycho Killer.
XTC and a manic Statue Of Liberty.
Iggy Pop and a subdued I'm Bored...just kidding!
The Specials and Message To Rudi.
Bill Withers with a beautiful and sweaty! Ain't No Sunshine.

The only thing I thought was a bad performance was The Damned doing Smash It Up/I Just Can't Be Happy Today. Couldn't really play but they can destroy instruments pretty damn well as "peformance".

A really wonderful highlight is an interview with John Lennon filmed in New York City in 1975. He is open, honest, playful and funny. It made me really sad when it was over.

Buy it here.