Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Bob Dylan - Blind Willie McTell

A quick post due to continuing holiday madness. I just started watching the documentary of Bob Dylan called No Direction Home that was shown on PBS in September, unfortunately I was in Europe so I couldn't watch it and just got a copy on dvd that I borrowed.

Blind Willie McTell is a flat out brilliant song that for some reason wasn't on the Infidels record, which is a record that I think is quite good, but it would have been even better if this had been on it along with a few other songs that were left off it as well. Dylan isn't his own best editor which is obvious after Foot Of Pride and Lord Protect My Child were not on the record, apparently Mark Knopfler who produced the record and helped put the band together wanted them on the album. A simple song with Bob on piano and Knopfler on acoustic guitar it features some really good singing and some wonderful, evocative lyrics that look at racism while using some iconic imagery of the old south. It is probably the best song he did in the 80's.

Buy it here.