Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Fishbone - Truth And Soul


Truth And Soul is an 80's classic and my favorite record by Fishbone, it is a fantastic mix of ska, punk, rock and funk. The opening track, a cover of the Curtis Mayfield classic Freddie's Dead, is a hard rocking ass kicker version that sets the tone for the rest of the tunes. Most of the songs are of the political/social commentary variety with quite a few addressing racism and all are very well written, arranged and played by this tight band. Ma And Pa is a ska inflected number concerning the breakdown of the family, while Subliminal Fascism is a short little rocker whose subject matter should be self evident and is probably my favorite song on the record. Now if Sony/Legacy will just remaster and reissue this on cd with bonus tracks I would be very happy. They can hire me I will be happy to work on this project and the many other records in their catalog that should be given the proper treatment also.

Buy it here.