Monday, October 31, 2005

Howlin' Wolf


For halloween I thought I would post a couple of songs by Chester Arthur Burnett or Howlin' Wolf as he is commonly known. With one of the best and most unmistakeable voices in all of blues music "like shattered glass being dragged over hot ashpalt" as one writer put it and a catalog of songs that should be known to many rock fans because of cover versions of Wolf songs like Spoonful, Back Door Man, I Ain't Superstitious and Smokestack Lightning by the likes of Cream, The Doors, Jeff Beck Group and the Yardbirds to name a few. Quite a few were written by the very prolific Willie Dixon who had a couple of his songs covered by Led Zeppelin on their first record and they even took songwriting credit for them! I like Zeppelin I just think it is a shame they took credit for it. Everything was cleared up with an out of court settlement of a size generous enough to make Dixon happy. The raw and pure originals should be heard and appreciated so here is Evil and I Ain't Superstitious for your listening pleasure so you can hear for yourself why Sam Phillips said "this is where the soul of man never dies".

Buy it here.